Monday, October 29, 2012

Turkey Tid Bit: 29th October


29th October is Turkish Republic Day, which is basically their equivalent of the 4th of July in America. They aren't exactly the same meaning, but the same type of patriotic holiday. Ataturk was the man who led Turkey through their independence war, and then established the Republic of Turkey. He is a national hero and his picture and speeches are up in every classroom in Turkey and I think every household has a picture of him somewhere. This was a very important day for the Turks, but because I was in Istanbul and in the car all day, I wasn't able to go to any of the celebrations in the city, but I got to hear about them from one of my teachers at school and then we had a little presentation at school about it, so I did get to learn a bit about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment