Thursday, March 7, 2013

Current Reads SOLC2013#7

So, I was thinking for a little bit about what I wanted to slice about today, and I really couldn't think of anything really exciting today that happened to me that would be worth slicing about. I took a little trip to the link on the Two Writing Teacher's blog that gave some ideas about what to write, and I came across "current reads" and I remembered I finished a book today!

So, before I start my little story, I should let you know that I read a lot here.  I finally have time to actually read for me, and read what I want. Last year I took two literature classes at once to be able to graduate early, and never really got to read for me, and now, here I am in Turkey, about to start book 20ish.

Today I finished Water For Elephants, by Sara Gruen. It was a nice story about secret loves and the crazy things life sometimes hands us (leaving the final college exams and joining a circus crew). I liked it, but the whole time I was picturing Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon, who I believe to be a terrible couple, so it was really hard for me to really get into the narrator's head and get into the book completely. You'd think I'd have learned by now to always read the book first, but I still constantly find myself watching the movie first, then regretting it when I finally find time to sit down with the book. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and I'm looking forward to my new book I'll be starting tomorrow. It's a cultural anthropology book my sister sent me. Its different from my past readings, but I'm interested in cultures and I'm interested in finding something that interests me enough to study and later pursue a career in. I just want to travel, learn, and eat delicious food for the rest of my life... but there's not too many jobs in that area...

7 comments:

  1. That was the first book I bought on my Nook. I enjoyed it, but I still haven't seen the movie yet. I find it really hard to read books if I've seen the movie first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you should be a travel writer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED Water for Elephants. If you find that job, you take me along with you. That sounds like the perfect job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved it too. I didn't want to read it (my bookclub picked it)I got the book and audio from the library. I listened to it on the way to Bowling Green and by the time I got there I was hooked! I finished the book before I left that weekend. Keith Johnson, you are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you FIND a job in that area, please let me be the first to know! I've been looking for years, that's my dream job! We seem to have a lot in common :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Annie! Loved reading your post, and am SO proud that you are writing and reading profusely! There just isn't anything more that a child's K/1 teachers longs to hear...THANK YOU for that gift this morning! I was just reading a poem from one of Roger Housden's books, Ten Poems to Change Your Live, and it made me think of you and your passions of traveling, learning, and eating. It talks about being present in the moment.."being present to yourself is the beginning of a journey without end. That kind of journey is itself the destination. All you are asked to do is to start down the road." Annie, you are on a journey of discovering and creating yourself...you alone have special gifts that are unique to you. Keep discovering those passions, and the way will be opened up for you:) You are gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got really excited to see Mrs. Esswein reading my blog! I feel kind of famous. I love all of your words of wisdom! Thanks :)

      Delete