Monday, March 11, 2013

Happy Birthday Sana SOLC2013#10

Today is one of my best friend's birthday! I know I've blogged a bit about Sana before, but this is a special one just for her.

Sana lived in my house as an exchange student during the year 2010-2011 and we became good friends the first day we met. I have so many wonderful memories during that year, and today I was looking through photos of us, and I remembered how great it's been having her in my life.  We would get up in the middle of the night to make mac and cheese or s'mores, and line the stairwell with air mattresses and slide down them (that one wasn't so much of a great idea after all...).  We had countless dance parties, and sleepovers in the living room.  We would stay up for hours, talking and laughing about the most random things, not worried about the fact that she would have to go home at some point.

I really, really miss our giggles and hanging out together, but even though we're separated by thousands of miles, our friendship has continued as if we're still sisters living in the same house, and we can still talk about anything. Whether it's boys, or a girl who said something mean but she's the one who's actually crazy, or the hilarious story about what happened last Friday night, I know we will always have each other to talk to.  No matter where we are in this world, Sana will always be my greatest confidant and nothing will ever stop our friendship.

I really have no idea where I'd be in this world if Sana was never apart of my life.  Not just with my exchange, but also mentally and emotionally. Helping shape me into the person I am today.  I don't think I'll ever be able to let her know how glad I am to be able to be friends with her, and how much I appreciate our friendship.  Even if I'm having the worst day in the world, she is always determined to find out the problem and also find a solution (I hate her sometimes for it, but it's normally for the best).  She is a funny, and beautiful young woman whom I am proud to call my sister and friend.

I really hope you had an amazing birthday, Sana, and I look forward to seeing you soon! I love you!

The picture in the top left is Sana and I on one of her first days in America, then the bottom  right is the day she left to return to India.  The pictures in between are just over the year (beach, IKEA, 17th birthday, Disney World).

6 comments:

  1. I love the line, "We would get up in the middle of the night to make mac and cheese or s'mores." I know this was fun! Were you together a whole school year? What a great experience. It is very special that you captured this in words. I hope you share your post with Jana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nearly the whole school year. She was with us for about 9 months, with a second host family right in the middle. She was supposed to have 3 host families, but instead just came back with us for her 3rd! It was really an unforgettable experience.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Annie. I remember when each one of those photos were taken. It makes me smile just to look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful tribute to Sana. I wrote about her tonight too. :) I wonder how many things you girls did in the middle of the night that Dad and I don't know about. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading about your friendship with Sana-what a great story of a successful exchange experience. I am going to start paying attention to your blog--I love your writing and the amazing global experiences you are having.

    ReplyDelete