Monday, March 4, 2013

Turkish Tea SOLC2013 #3

Over the past six months, (yes, six. I can't wrap my head around it either) I've had at least 300 cups of Turkish tea.  In Turkey, I drink tea at least once a day.  Whenever I'm a guest at someone's house, even if I'm only stopping by for 15 minutes, I'm always offered tea.  Every time I go to a restaurant, I always get tea after my meal.  I have tea every morning at breakfast.  I have tea at least twice a week at school.  I have tea when I sit around watching TV with my host family in the evenings.

Today I had tea three times.  Twice at breakfast, and then another at a little lake side cafe my host family took me to.  I've come so accustomed to having tea so often that tea is one of the top things on my "Things I Will Miss About Turkey When I Return to America" list. This list is only in my head, but, also over the past 6 months, my thoughts have shifted from "I miss..." to "I will miss..." It's really quite strange.  But, nonetheless, I love Turkish tea. I'll be sure to bring a bunch of it home with me for everyone to try!

Me and my Turkish tea

6 comments:

  1. That just made me smile. It's pretty neat that you've started to think about what you'll miss. It's a good thing we're a tea drinking family. We will enjoy tea with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a cup of tea, but Turkish tea I've never tried. Drinking tea will be one of those little things that will always remind you of your experience as an exchange student. I'm going to brew a cup of tea now, so I can sip it while reading SOLC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way your thinking has shifted. Now you have new experiences and new appreciations - the benefits of living in another country last a lifetime. PS how very exciting to be doing this! Especially with the political climate being what it is over there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have me wondering how tea might be different in Turkey than back here in the USA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes my host mom just makes Earl Grey, but generally Turkish tea is black tea served without milk, only sugar if you want it.

      Delete
  5. Annie you should write down your list of "I'll miss..." it will give you fond memories to look back upon once you're back home and start to forget the "little things" about your experience. I love looking back at my Senegal list, sometimes I think to myself, "Ohhhhh yeah!! I can't believe I haven't thought about that, that used to be 1 of my favorite things!"

    ReplyDelete