Thursday, March 14, 2013

My Bag SOLC2013#13

So... I decided to dump out my bag and show you what I like to carry around with me!


1.  My wallet. I've had that clutch FOREVER,  at least two years, and now the clutchy part doesn't even close.  Especially when I'm rich and have a  lot of money.  Which isn't very often.  Anyways, my wallet holds a lot of stuff. Money, IDs from two different countries, copies of my visa and passport, insurance card, Rotary Youth Exchange card, my public transport card, and random other things, like my house key from back home and my pressed 5 euro coins from Spain. 

2.  My American cell phone.  This little baby has been through a lot with me.  I mainly just use my phone for Whatsapp, but now my phone won't connect to the internet, nor can I see the bottom inch or so of the screen because I've dropped it so much the screen partly went out. We definitely have a love-hate relationship.  I love that it lets me talk to my friends; it hates that I constantly drop him on the ground.  

3.  My Turkish cell phone.  Yeah... I play Sudoku on this phone a lot.  That's about it.  Maybe the occasional phone call or text message, but usually it's just if I need to get a hold of my host parents, or a friend if WiFi isn't available. 

4.  A ton of bobby pins.  You never know when you'll need a few! Also, I usually take them out, put them in my purse and then never put them away in my room, so I have an unnecessarily high amount of bobby pins in my purse. 

5.  My flash drive.  I had this in my purse because I had to give a presentation to a Rotary club a few weeks ago, I just forgot to take it out.  That little thing has 32GB! WOW!

6.  My house key.  I always have my house key on me.  I don't think I shared this earlier, but the day I moved in with this host family, my host dad gave me my keys and said, "This is your house key forever.  Even after your exchange, if you ever want to come over, this is always your home." How sweet is that?!

7.  Pencils.  The mechanical pencil is broken, and no longer serves a purpose. The green pencil I got from a University in Istanbul that came to my school.  I always feel important when someone says, "Who has a pen? I need a pen!" And I'm like, "Oh, here's a pencil," then they say, "Oh, thanks so much!" I like to think I saved their day a little bit.

8.  That's a magnet from a taxi I was in last weekend.  In Turkey, nearly all of the take out restaurants (and there are a lot of them) have magnets with their phone number so you can call them when you want them to deliver you food. I think in Ohio, we only have pizza magnets, but here there are so many different kinds of restaurants with magnets, so I always take a magnet (though I'll never call) if one is available.  I have a lot of magnets now. I'm trying to collect them. 

9.  Chap Stick.  I think it just makes sense to carry chap stick. I don't really have much of an explanation for this one...

10. Dramamine. I went to the mountain last weekend, and brought this in fear of car sickness.  Luckily, I was fine.  And I was sitting in the back seat, so I figured I'd want it but I didn't.  I was very proud of myself.  I was also glad I didn't take any, because I'd just immediately fall asleep, but I guess I ended up falling asleep once we got to the top of the mountain anyways.

11. Hand Sanitizer.  This is hand sanitizer from Ohio.  It's just another one of those things that I carry around with me just because.  It makes me feel clean.  And it smells good. 

12.  Headphones.  Headphones are great for many reasons.  First, they let me listen to music, and that's always a nice thing.  Also, they allow me to listen to music or a computer when it should be quiet time... but for me it doesn't have to be quiet time.  When I wear headphones people are less likely to ask me questions, and I know that sounds kind of terrible, but like, my Turkish isn't good, and it's always awkward when people ask me where a certain thing is, and I'm taking a long time to think, then they're like, "alright.. you're foreign..." Another funny thing about headphones is that when I'm wearing them, people think I'm listening to something, but sometimes I'm not actually listening, and I'm attempting to listen to them talk about me or other gossip.  I don't do that last one a lot, but there have been times where I try to listen, but then it's too hard to try to listen, so I go back to listening to my music. 

Soo... yeah.  Those are the things I keep in my purse.  I also have some lose change, but that's really unusual. I tend to spend my change rather quickly (the 1 lira is in coin form, not note form).  I always have my key, wallet and Turkish phone on me when I go to school, but that's all what I have when I go out! I feel like I also usually have chocolate... but yeah, that's out now. Later I can tell you about something I always keep on me... But for now, goodnight world!  


2 comments:

  1. I love this. It reminds me of one of the magazines (InStyle? Us?) that always shows the inside of a celebrity's purse! I love the explanation of the house keys--your host family sounds so welcoming.

    ReplyDelete